Basketball/Jordan Shoe Rental Opinion

• Hey everyone,
    So, I need everyone's opinion on an online shoe rental service that I'm considering starting up in the near future. It would offer all different types of basketball shoes as well as rare collector shoes. That being said, say you have a big game coming up, or a big event, or you just want to try out a new pair of shoes before you buy them. This is where I feel like an online shoe rental would come in handy; you'd be able to rent the shoes from 1 day up to a month, and when you're done you can either buy them at a cheaper price or send them back. We've worked out a lot of the potential issues but I was wondering if it would attract a lot of business or not, Does anyone have any opinions or think that they would consider using this service in the near future?

Thanks.

• Admin

The major issue here is theft. What protocols would you have in place in case someone decides to keep the shoe they rent?

I'd like to see how you plan to lay this out before someone decides whether it's a good idea or not.

• Not a bad idea actually

• @MJO23DAN said:

The major issue here is theft. What protocols would you have in place in case someone decides to keep the shoe they rent?

I'd like to see how you plan to lay this out before someone decides whether it's a good idea or not.

Agreed.
    Also, think about:

• hygiene issues of the person(s) renting the shoes
    • the condition the shoes would come back to you in (if they do), would they be creased? have faded suede / nubuck? have heel drag? etc...
    • what would the liabilities / insurance be for/from either party?

This was something that was about to be infiltrated by a widely known consignment store actually, roughly a decade ago. Due to those very reasons, in addition to what Marv stated, it was immediately scrapped after less than a month of being in play.

Don't give up on what you want to do though, just think of ways to have less cons for it that would be detrimental for you and your company.

-Imran

• what about fat footed folks stretching out the shoes

• Power Users

This would be very difficult. If its just instate/local city then maybe. Your Inventory would have meet demand. Everyone will want to rent a yeezy over a Jordan. Honestly, you will need at least 3 full size runs on super popular joints.

Plus if your method of just deducting stolen shoes from a credit card on file, you would have to be really cautious of scammers and stolen credit card information.

If you're in high school or college I would start at that level first maybe: Like a only available in (city, state) currently. It could be away to gain quick money but you would have to basically be a rent to own consignment shop. Rent a yeezy for $25 a week at percentage added each week in order to obtain resell value.

Plus the up keep on receiving used shoes is hard. You will be cleaning soles of shoes forever. Also if someone lets say keeps the laces because they're dope, you will have to figure out how to replace a yeezy lace etc.

Just my opinion, good luck but start small

• @cbutler18 A lot of lost merchandise and money on the up keep of the shoes.

• dont think that would work.. shoes would get messed up and then returned. then lets say nobody would want to use them just because theyre beat up. defeats the whole point of trying to get that shoe to sell. then you got people feet that smells. and then theres stealing. they could just take that away and dip. but then again you could always have a deposit for them. but i just dont think it would work out :T

ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY OF ALL THE SHOES NOW-A-DAYS.. JUST ISNT THE SAME..

• It's a good idea in theory but honestly, would you wear a pair of shoes that more than 3 people have worn?

• Everyone is going to steal your shoes and I don't see many people renting shoes that were already worn. Especially if you're renting the shoes out for an entire month. So much can go wrong. The idea isn't terrible, but you'd have to really work out the kinks.

Looks like your connection to Sole Collector Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.